With cold temperatures still going strong and severe weather still lingering, it’s important to keep your home warm while remaining safe inside of it.
Keeping our home warm in winter months is important to do, but it’s also important to do so safely. Heating the home is the second leading cause of U.S. home fires, deaths, and injuries. With February ranking as a “peak” month for heating fires, it is important to point out that we can’t disregard winter fire safety.
In winter months, a variety of things can result in an accidental home fire.
It is important to make sure you are turning space heaters off when you leave your home in order to prevent overheating.
You should also consider purchasing a space heater that has an automatic shut-off feature.
During the winter, carbon monoxide is often associated with severe illness and often, death. Often referred to as the “invisible killer,” carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that is created through fuels such as gasoline, wood, coal, propane, etc. Heating and cooking equipment that burn these fuels could result in potential carbon monoxide incidents.
Make sure you have functioning carbon monoxide detectors to prevent this gas from seeping into your home unnoticed.
A winter storm can also result in a house fire due to the dangerous conditions that comes with it such as fallen trees and open power lines.
If severe weather is headed your way, it is important to understand when that weather will hit and how to protect yourself from any potential threats that might come with it.
It is also important to be aware of your generators during winter months. Although generators can be a great asset to have during power outages, especially in cities that experience severe weather frequently, they can be very dangerous if they are used incorrectly. Generators often result in carbon monoxide poisoning or electrical shock.
To best protect your home from any potential winter weather threats, the best thing that you can do is to install a sprinkler system into your home using Rich Fire Protection.